08 November 2008

Dinner at the Marina

Everything is blooming in Adelaide! It's November, but that's like May in the north. The plants are a lot like those in Los Angeles -- roses, jacaranda, and all kinds of fragrant bushes.

Where are we? It's Friday dinner with Michael Celia, a professor visiting Flinders University from Princeton & we took him out to dinner at Sammy's at the marina in Glenelg.


The view from the 2nd floor dining room was worth 1,000,000 bucks. -- sunset over the southern ocean. We sat in the more commodious downstairs dining room.


Oddly, I recognized this guy on the left from somewhere (?!). Turns out , I had met John Kaldi back in Feb. 2007 at a leadership conference of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists held at a swanky lodge outside of Tulsa, Oklahoma. The gentleman on the right is Peter Dillon of CSIRO, who the Mexican gov't hydrogeologists I met last month had worked with years before. It's a small, very small world. Thank you Mr. Friedman.

Oh, by the way, I had whiting, a somewhat famous Australian fish that was maybe like a really good, fresh flounder, before Maine fished them all out... Local sauvignon blanc wine flowed down from the hills outside Adelaide.


"Please mind the step." The Australians definitely speak their own flavor of English -- I really am enjoying learning the tongue.

I think I drank too much wine...

No comments: