24 November 2008

Purple Rain, Purple Rain

Please forgive the awful Prince reference, but the jacarandas are in bloom in Adelaide. I remember these trees that lined the street of Pasadena and exploded every summer. You can even see the little purple dots all across the city flying into town last Saturday from Alice Springs (more on this trip coming...).

So, I forgot my camera going for a run around the 'hood this evening, but I ran back in to get it to shoot this big 'o tree (as they say in Texas) across the street from my house. Looking down a line of these trees, the ground is covered in purple blossoms.

I also have to give props to BHP, the mining giant that forged this steel telephone pole and also helped make my education at UT possible. Thank you. They got their start northeast of Adelaide in the town of Broken Hill.

Here's the Adelaide Fairgrounds -- it's also across the street from my house. They have a SMOKING farmers market here every Sunday. Peaches, apricots, and other summer goodies are all ripe right now. YUM.

2 comments:

Bradley said...

Hi Brad,

Hope you and Sally are able to get out to Broken Hill sometime. You'll love it, and Silverton. Both were an exercise in desert contrast, a stark beauty - thriving art communities and mining. If you get to Silverton, check out Peter Browne's gallery!

I really look forward to keeping in touch with you two as your journey of Australia unfolds. Living in Australia was a profound experience for me and I hope it will be for you too.

Cheers',
Brad J. Wolaver (the other Brad)

Sally said...

That's funny. I heard "Raspberry Beret" a few days ago. Timeless. Nice BHP props. Maybe they will put their logo on our race car.