30 November 2008

First You Eat It, Then You Pet It

Last Wednesday a bunch of us from the shop went Warrawong, it's Carol Sharp's favorite wildlife preserve in the hills above Adelaide. We had dinner in the restaurant before -- I had a kangaroo steak. Like Todd Halihan says: "first you eat it, then you pet it." It was pretty tasty -- a wee bit gamey. The fig/ginger desert muffin was great, but came a little late, so I had to wolf down the whole meal.

Here are the red 'roos. You can pet them! They're pretty soft. They don't hop when they are grazing -- it's more like they use their muscular tail to push them forward and balance with their tiny front legs. Not nearly as graceful as when they are hopping along.

In the night, you can't really spot animals with a flash light, so you have to rely on your hearing of things rustling in the underbrush. I think this is an opossum.

This little feller is a wallaby (sorta a miniature version of the kangaroo). The platypus didn't make a showing. I wouldn't mind staying an evening in the tents and doing a dawn walk. Seems like that would be a bit less hurried. Whatya think Sally???

2 comments:

Sally said...

I can see why Carol raves about it. Let's definitely go and check it out to stalk the platypus! Personally, I think this post should be called "first you eat it, then you pet it." The implications are endless. hee heeeee.

Sally said...

Awwww, you changed the post name!!! So flattering.