
This post is a just a bunch of spare parts. Kinda like cleaning out your fridge, adding some meat, and making a big steaming pot of soup from it all -- kinda a like the little bags by the dozen. They're baby gum trees growing in the park that rings Adelaide. Back in the 1800's Colonel Light laid out Adelaide with a protective gauntlet of green surrounding the city. I suppose it was to be a big field for mowing down your enemies -- now it's a pleasant bit of sunbaked greenery. Bill Bryson commented that Adelaide was trying to replace it's standout parks with less flashy native vegetation. Reading the papers it appears that water demands are the drive -- there just isn't enough of the wet to maintain a verdant expanse of the past ...

Here's lunch on the plaza across from the Hilton Adelaide. Between the lines of windows crawled and hopped people who paid big bucks to absail down the outside wall -- that means rappelling for you yanks out there. Oh, and cherries are in season. The cherry growers are the big winners in the drought. Long, dry springs = luscious, sweet fruit.

My lunch was a whole wheat role (they grow wheat ALL over South Australia), an avocado, and some fine, smoked ham. YUM.

I rode my rocket to the market, but I think this was supposed to be "roquette," or some other funny French greenery I don't really feel like looking up the correct spelling. Man the fruits and veggies are good in the Central Market! In addition to the cherries, I got fresh apricots (sweet and tart), nectarines, and some kalamata olives from the McClaren Vale -- an internationally notable winery region.

Hi Sally! Here's the liquid that fuels yet another Sally-gram. It's the Passatempo cafe across from the market. YUM.

El Mercado Central, desde el sur.

This is a "ute," as in utility. In Australia, they know what a sport utility vehicle really is. Note the tow ball on this thing. You don't need a Ford Excursion to tow a jet ski. A V-6 Holden Commodore will do just fine, thank you. We can learn something from this...

This is an SUV. This is what you take to the Outback. In the month I've been here, I've seen exactly one Ford Explorer. To head to the Outback, you need something burlier. For example, this Range Rover. It's amazing, you see so many trucks around town fitted with snorkels, like on this vehicle. It's the rainy season now ("the wet"). Things are pretty practical here. If you're in the Outback, it rains, the roads flood, you need a snorkel to get air to your engine without stalling. Not a grocery-running SUV. Not to sound too down -- I do like a good, honest SUV, like the Chevy Suburban, but in the States, we've gotten a little too enamored with the breed...

More jacarandas -- I still think these trees look great.

The Adelaide Royal Show Grounds across for my house voted for Obama, too. Wooo HOOOO!

Recycled old church parts in a new church. Didn't he die for everybody, not just the ungodly? Hmmm...

On first look, this seemed pretty good -- DRUMS. On closer inspection the place is out of business. I did see two ladies on my run tonight, one carrying a djembe (like the drum on the sign). She said Phil Johnson (or close to that) teaches drum lessons (I presume African) at a youth hostel downtown. The Royal Galla (or something) has an African celebration with drummers tomorrow -- too bad I'll miss it while at a BBQ.

I think I recognize this guy from Men in Black.
1 comment:
Pure poetry: "a verdant expanse of the past" and the cherry picture is poetry in visual form. Nice work, my dear poet!
Post a Comment