13 April 2009

Easter Weekend at Deep Creek Conservation Park

Brad and I headed out of town to Deep Creek Conservation Park on Fleurieu Peninsula for the 4-day Easter weekend. We rented a little red Hyundai Getz from Aussie Car Rentals in Brighton and they threw in a propane stove and a camping chair too. Pretty cool. Brad was humming the Stan Getz rendition of "Desafinado" the whole way there (and I came in right on cue after the intro!) 

When we first pulled up at the ranger station I saw a real live kangaroo for the first time! It was tiny and huddled by a fence, but a kangaroo nonetheless. 

We left on Thursday before the long weekend and scored a nice ocean view campsite at Tappanappa campground in Deep Creek. This campground is equipped with "long drop toilets" (a name which cracks Brad up perhaps because of the sound implied by "long drop") and rainwater tanks. We are not allowed to make a fire at our campsite because a fire ban is still in effect, so instead we huddle around our propane stove which has dubious amounts of fuel left. We did a couple of pretty strenuous hikes to Deep Creek Cove and Blowhole Beach - the steep trails down to the coast did not have switchbacks! - and saw some very beautiful scenery along the way. At Blowhole Beach we saw sheep "rattling their dags" (= "shaking their dingleberries") down to a watering hole at the beach!! 


More photos are posted here: http://flickr.com/gp/salita/3gKVL6


2 comments:

E said...

What a great shot of you and the sheep :-) I love reading about your adventures--sounds like you're having fun down under (you realize I'm going to throw that in as much as I can ;-)

Sally said...

I wish that was me and the sheep! It is a girl wearing an Australian flag bikini photographing the sheep. I thought it was such an unusual sight I had to get her in the picture too!